Burt Family 2013

Burt Family 2013

Saturday, December 11, 2010

God must have a sense of humor....

Somedays Josh and I wonder what God has for us next.  We realize we are being refined by fire, but we have come to the realization that we need to have a sense of humor in order to cope with days that have seemed unbearable and we realize that God must have a sense of humor too.  This was especially true yesterday as I found myself breaking out into laughter in a moment that probably seemed inappropriate.

Max's oncologists set up an appointment for us to meet with one of the more experienced and "older" pediatric neurologists at Children's Hospital, he came in and greeted us and began the conversation unlike any of the doctors we have seen to date.  He said "Have you ever used google?" and I found myself  speechless not knowing how to to respond at that moment, he went on to say that a few minutes before meeting with us he tried using google to find out more about Max's condition because not only had he never had experience with a patient like Max he had never even heard of Max's neurological condition and was interested  to learn more.  At that moment all I could do was laugh, I realize that it was probably rude and slightly innappropriate, but I didn't know how else to respond other than just letting it all out.  I also realize later that I probably should have just got up and left the examination and ask that he stop wasting our time, but in my head I wanted to hear him out because I was just sure God, Ashton Kutcher or a camera man was going to open that exam room door and say "Ha  Ha Just kidding, you've been punk'd".  As I was waiting for that moment to come, the doctor kept asking me questions that are clearly indicated in Max's chart and I asked him politely if he had a chance to read Max's chart and he said that he hadn't had time, prior to meeting us because he was online trying to look up his condition, he also asked me what type of neurological exam he should perform on Max.  I reminded him that that the oncology department wanted to make sure a neurologist followed Max's neurological condition.

I was polite and let him conduct yet another neurological examination to help him professionaly, because obviously he wasn't going to be of any help to our situation.  As he conducted his exam that of course was being conducted during Max's nap time, a day after he had completed his first round of chemo, and two weeks after undergoing a major surgery, he asked Max to walk on a straight line to this strange man and of course Max dropped to the floor and cried.  The doctor tried again and Max was done, instead of showing some compassion for what Max has been through or realizing that he might just be slightly traumatized by strangers in his face poking and prodding him and telling him what to do, he let me know that I might just have a discipline problem on my hand.  At that moment I was glad that Josh wasn't with me because I am not sure I would have been able to hold him back, and again I just had to laugh to myself and scan the room for hidden cameras.  I instantly began picking up my stuff and getting Max ready to leave and his last comment to me was that he highly recommended that I give him daily vitamins to keep his bones healthy.   I wish that I could say that I was exaggerating and I really wish that I had recorded this appointment to share with you so that you could have the same enjoyment as I did, but needless to say we will be doing more research to find a more experienced pediatric neurologist to follow Max. I will also be looking into attaching a large note on Max's chart that says "if you have not read this chart or done at least as much research on this patient's condition as his parents than please don't waste our time".  Okay enough ranting and raving for today, we hope that you all find moments to laugh and realize that we have a BIG God that is watching out for all of us and that he has a reason, and a purpose and a wonderful plan for all of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment